02/15/2017 By Bryn Kelly
There is a divine capacity to hear God’s voice built into all of us, a place where we will know His voice and respond. We are free to hear Him in our hearts. But just like world class athletes who practice daily to develop their skills, we must practice the art of listening to develop a larger capacity to hear Him!
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. (John 10:27 NIV)
Here are some eternal truths that may guide you to develop better ears for hearing His words.
- God’s willingness to speak to you is greater than your confidence in your ability to hear. His sheer pleasure in talking to you is bigger than your fear of hearing Him.Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. (Jeremiah 33:3 NIV)
- He loves for you to hear His voice. Listen with love because His voice resonates with it. His voice created the universe and shaped the world of mankind. To hear Him can be an amazing source of renewal for your body, soul and spirit.By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, their starry host by the breath of his mouth. (Psalm 33:6 NIV)
- There will never be a time when He will not speak to you. I hear people complain that it doesn’t seem like God is speaking to them. Never doubt His heart to speak to you and never doubt your ability to hear Him.Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” (Isaiah 30:21 NIV)
- God’s goal is that you become confident in His desire to speak to you. You were designed with an inbuilt ability for your heart to hear and respond to the sound of His voice. You are God’s favorite person! Listening to His voice will take you to new levels in your relationship with Him.I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you. (Psalm 32:8)
- To hear God you must learn to listen from your heart (spirit) and not from you head (soul). Listening is about the utmost sensitivity and absolute intentionality to hear His whisper. The Christ within you is like a built-in receiver connecting your spirit man to God’s voice.Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. (1 Kings 19:11-12 NIV)
- If you want to hear God … you will! Love to listen. Love the anticipation of hearing. The Holy Spirit will teach you to be still, to rest and to be at peace.But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. (John 14:26 NIV)
- 7. Don’t try to think about it … feel God’s voice within you. Listen in expectation. Practice and practice. God loves the fact that you’re trying and you want to hear Him.My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding – indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. (Proverbs 2:1-5 NIV)
Start today! Begin by turning your affections toward him and holding confidence that He wants to speak with you right now! You can hear and He will speak. Find a quiet place, focus your thoughts and your attention on God and listen for the whisper of His voice!