03/17/2017 By Ken
Life is so much more fun and rewarding when you live it with enthusiasm! Wouldn’t it be wonderful to feel the same eagerness, passion and zeal that children display when they are playing? The primary dictionary definition of enthusiasm is: “an intense and eager enjoyment, interest or approval; a strong excitement about something that you like or enjoy.” You have the choice to show enthusiasm in all you do, whether it be in worship, work, ministry or play and the bible encourages you to do just that!
But an additional definition of enthusiasm is: “the religious fervor resulting from divine inspiration; belief in special revelation of the Holy Spirit.” Picture the intense fervor and passion we display when we are caught up in worshipping our God; rejoicing with hands and voices raised in song. That is a way to live your life in God’s kingdom with enthusiasm!
Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. (Romans 12:11 NIV)
So how can you increase your enthusiasm? Here is a list of actions YOU can do to regain that zest in your life. They aren’t profound, they probably aren’t new but they ARE the kind of things you need to be reminded of every now and then.
- Be Passionate. The most obvious way to generate enthusiasm in your life is with passion. When you are doing something that you are good at or really like to do you will do it with passion. Passion makes you come alive and energizes you. What are the activities that really “get you going”? It might help to think about your childhood and recall the hobbies and activities you were involved in back then. The enthusiasm you generate by doing things you like will leak over to all of the other areas of your life.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters … (Collosians 3:23 NIV)
- Be in Awe. Take some time out and really look around you. Notice the majesty of God’s creation around you and it will trigger your sense of AWE. With that sense of awe will come a deep gratitude for all that God has blessed you with. We’ve all heard that common advice to “stop and smell the roses.”
The whole earth is filled with awe at your wonders; where morning dawns, where evening fades, you call forth songs of joy. (Psalm 65:8 NIV)
- Be Positive. Nothing can dampen enthusiasm like negativity. Harboring questioning, doubting, negative thoughts is like pouring water on the fire of enthusiasm. On the other hand, even a single positive thought can start you on a path out of the pit of negativity. Just that single thought can build the enthusiasm to take action and start tackling your problems. In every adverse situation there is an opportunity for growth. Remember, God doesn’t close one door without opening another. Keep looking for that new door.
I can do all this through him who gives me strength. (Phillipians 4:13 NIV)
- Be Creative. Creativity is a great shortcut to enthusiasm. My favorite definition of creativity is “The making of the new or the rearranging of the old in a new way.” We are faced with opportunities to be creative throughout every day. The building blocks of new things surround us just waiting to be put together in a new way! Creativity generates enthusiasm and enthusiasm generates creativity. God created YOU to be creative. Try making something new today!
And he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood and to engage in all kinds of artistic crafts. (Exodus 34:31-32 NIV)
- Be Surrounded by enthusiastic people. Have you ever watched a sporting event in a big stadium with thousands of other people? Or attended a concert full of screaming, passionate worshippers? Enthusiasm is contagious. When you are surrounded by enthusiastic people, your enthusiasm naturally increases. And it works just as well being in a group of 3 people as well as in a crowd of thousands. Surround yourself with enthusiastic people and you enthusiasm will grow.
Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. (1 Thessalonians 5:11 NIV)
Practice enthusiasm this week and feel your enjoyment and energy grow. Make it a habit for every day of your life!